Wednesday 24 February 2016

The Joy of Travel Books

I love a good book. Proper books. I've never got on with e-books - there's just nothing like the feel of a new book, that amazing smell of paper.

OK, so weird book obsession aside, travel books are brilliant. What better way to start your trip planning than picking up a guidebook and picking a random page? All those little hints and tips, places you maybe hadn't thought of visiting. All in one easily consumed book.

A shelf of travel books


It's how my planning for most bits of my fast-approaching round-the-world trip has started. Quick trip to the bookshop and then home with a shiny new book to rifle through. I'm building up quite the collection.

Just a shame I won't be able to take them with me - much too heavy.

Travel guides are just the start though. Inspiration comes in many forms. Take, for example, all those books which list X number of places/experiences/something else you should do before you die. Things like my Lonely Planet 1000 Ultimate Adventures and You Only Live Once, both full of amazing ideas for travel. In the end, they're just lists of interesting things, but they can be a great way to spark the imagination.

Travel books aren't just about inspiration for your own travels, though. A good travel book can transport you around the world without you even leaving your chair. It doesn't even have to involve the real world. I'm a huge fan of Tolkien because his world is so detailed you can imagine being there. And of course, there's the added bonus that New Zealand really does fit a lot of Middle-earth quite well.

Hobbit hole, Hobbiton, New Zealand

What are your favourite travel books? Got any recommendations? Why not share in the comments below...

No comments:

Post a Comment