Friday 5 February 2016

Destination Daydreams: Tropical North Queensland

Currently, I've set aside nearly about 2 months to cover Australia, starting in the North East, land of desert, rainforest and of course the Great Barrier Reef. Aside from that last obvious destination, where should I check out in Tropical North Queensland?

Cairns

The small city of Cairns is the gateway to the northern end of Queensland and also one of the main jumping off points for trips to the Great Barrier Reef. I intend to start here, maybe just to relax for a few days and explore the city, since I didn't really have time to do that when I first visited.

Torres Strait Islands

From Cairns I could catch a flight up to Horn Island, one of the Torres Strait Islands. These islands look beautiful and they've got a lot of history too - the Torres Strait Islanders make up one of the longest continuous cultures on the planet. I'm pretty sure I could wile away a few days up there at least.

Cape York

Depending on budget, I could also visit Cape York, the huge, largely empty point of land which sticks up above Cairns. There's plenty of 4x4 tours I could hop on if I can still afford it to go and explore the desert and scrubland, but first preference is definitely the Torres Strait.

Daintree Rainforest

From the Torres Strait, my plan at the moment is to head back down to Cairns and base myself out of there for a weeks or so. This will give me time to revisit the Daintree Rainforest, a remnant of the vast swathes of forest that once covered large parts of Australia. There's a huge diversity of wildlife here and I'd love to spend a bit more time exploring than the 1 day trip I managed last time.

Clear stream running between boulders in the Daintree Rainforest


Great Barrier Reef

As mentioned above, the Great Barrier Reef is also easily accessible from Cairns and I definitely need to get back out there - on my previous trip I had a weird near-panic attack when I tried to go snorkelling, so I need to make up for that.

So, that's my very rough plan for enjoying Tropical North Queensland. Is there anything I should add to the list? I'm sure there must be plenty of hidden gems to search out. Please share in the comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment