Friday 23 October 2015

The Joy of Postcards

In an age of Facebook, Twitter and, well, any other social network, where you can get instant updates from friends and family, there's still a certain joy about getting post. Actual, proper, hold-it-in-your-hand post.

In fact, maybe it's even more special now what with all that instant gratification from social networks and the internet in general.

It's part of the reason I love postcards so much. So posting photos all over the web is great with the "look where I am right now!", but a postcard seems somewhat more personal. It was picked out specially for some reason - beautiful view, humour, an odd reminder of home...

I still send postcards. OK, so writing them can be difficult, but it's lovely just to wander round the tourist shops in search of something a friend or relative might appreciate. I'll admit, I pick postcards mostly because I like the views on them and think I should be sending an image of what I'm seeing. But that's just me.

While I was living in Australia, my mum used to send me postcards from the UK. I will never forget the brief moment of shock when I opened the envelope and a picture of eyeballs fell out. She'd been to the Science Museum and thought the glass eyes were funny.

I still have that postcard. It reminds me both of Australia and of home. In fact, I've got loads of them - they're all stuck on my wardrobe doors. One for postcards and mementos from Australia:



Another of postcards I've picked up - mostly from London and the Travel Photographer of the Year exhibition, with a few of Wales and Lincoln thrown in:



And another entirely of postcards I got in Ireland:



That latter two are all postcards I've bought myself. My photography skills are improving but these cards have views on them I could never capture. Besides, they remind me of the joy of travelling and of trips I've taken and some I've yet to make.

See, here lies another great joy of postcards: they let you into a world that you might never have seen or maybe never will. Take the ones I picked up at the Travel Photographer of the Year exhibition - there's one in there of the Great Mosque at Djenne. I've known of the mosque for years and I'd love to see it in person, but I'm just not brave enough to travel alone to Mali to see it. But that postcard... well, maybe it says that someday I'll pluck up the courage and go.

You know how people end postcards with "wish you were here"? That's why they're brilliant. Because you wish you were there. I wish I was seeing the Great Mosque at Djenne. I wish I was staring up at the Northern Lights or watching a polar bear hunt in the Arctic. But for now, I'm not.

I can still dream, though.

Makes it sound like I only buy postcards for myself. I don't. Well, not quite. I like sending them too. As I mentioned above, it's sometimes hard to know what to write - I sent one to a friend's little boy from Ireland. Trying to work out what to write on a postcard to a baby was not easy. I think I mentioned leprechauns and fairies... The one I wrote to my sister was better - her's simply said "Smile like Harry Potter's here!". It was from the Cliffs of Moher. She got it.

What do you think? Are postcards outdated? When you can update instantly on the web, is there really any need for a little piece of card with a nice picture and some scribbled words? Or is there still that simple joy of getting a message from a loved one in the post?

No comments:

Post a Comment