Monday 18 April 2016

100 Days, 100 Things: Days 21-40

I am inching ever closer to my final day of employment and the subsequent departure on my Grand Tour. Here's days 21-40 of my attempts to find something interesting, funny or ridiculously mundane that happened each day of my final 100 days here.

21. Friday 25th March - first gardening of the year
Finally got round to doing some gardening - cleared out my veg patch, tidied up some pots and trimmed back the chamomile bed. Just in time for the dogs to arrive and paddle all over it the next day!

22. Saturday 26th March - took a stroll to the churchyard
With Mum being over for the Easter weekend, we took the dogs for a walk up to the churchyard. Lovely peaceful place.

23. Sunday 27th March - had a rare moment of vanity
Anyone who's met me (or seen all the "Stupid Selfies" that we took in New Zealand) will know that I'm not especially concerned about how I look. So the joy of fitting comfortably into an old size 6 dress for the family Easter lunch was indeed a rare moment of vanity. Up yours, uni-drinking-weight.

24. Monday 28th March - cooked Sri Lankan style food
Treated my parents and sister to my first attempt at Sri Lankan style food. Delicious egg hoppers with coconut gravy and a couple of fresh pickle type dishes. Turned out pretty good - will have to try it again.

25. Tuesday 29th March - attempted to train our apprentice on Excel
I was only sort of successful. I struggle to explain things like Excel to other folks because I constantly make the assumption that they know more than they do.

26. Wednesday 30th March - ate too much pizza
We got a new system installed at work for our student records and to celebrate the demise of the seriously outdated and temperamental old system we had a pizza and prosecco party in the office. And, true to tradition, I ate too much pizza and spent the afternoon trying not to fall asleep.

27. Thursday 31st March - made colleague's day by gifting him the Excel guide
Said colleague finished in the department the next day and it was great watching him going through the guide and finding things he didn't know he could do. Clearly the guide was better than I thought it was.

28. Friday 1st April - 5kDay1 for Camp NaNoWriMo
I take part in National Novel Writing Month and its less frantic Camp sessions every year. The latest session kicked off today and somehow on a work day I managed to write 5000 words in a 24 hours. Pretty pleased with that.

29. Saturday 2nd April - drank too much cider. Ugh.
Have I mentioned how Friday is Cider-Day in my house? I don't drink much any more - just a pint of cider on a Friday evening. So going out for a colleague's leaving do was... interesting. Three pints later and I ended up persuading my dad to come and pick me up because my brain went from "OK. I'm fine." to "I hate it here. The crowd is making me anxious. I want to go home." in about 3 minutes flat. Mature. The bar was nice though...



30. Sunday 3rd April - watched Snow White for the first time in years
Apparently Snow White is just as creepy and terrifying as it was when I was little. That thunderstorm at the end with the vultures and the evil queen? Jeez.

31. Monday 4th April - killed off third character within 10,000 words
Returning to my Camp NaNoWriMo project, I killed off yet another character. It wouldn't be so bad, but they've all been killed by the same person and she's my protagonist. This might be a new record for novelling deaths...

32. Tuesday 5th April - pulled off my first 1k30min of Camp
I write relatively quick (see all the comments about typing speed in my previous 100 Days post), but writing 1000 words in 30 minutes is still something of an achievement for me. Makes writing 50,000 words in a month much more feasible.

33. Wednesday 6th April - confirmed colleague's return
So, yeah. The colleague who finished on April 1st and on whose leaving do I drank too much cider? Turns out the new job/life situation wasn't really what he wanted, so he's coming back. So that was weird...

34. Thursday 7th April - compliments?
A colleague greeted me with the words "you're quite small, aren't you?". I assumed she meant short, because yes, I am. Apparently she meant I'm skinny. I'm not. I'm in proportion with my height, no matter what the rare moment of vanity above might suggest.

35. Friday 8th April - 1130 words in 20 minutes
Yeah, so my writing speed is still going up. Woop for that. In non-writing news, I made a delicious fish pie with a cheesy crumble topping. It was amazing.

36. Saturday 9th April - spotted Terry Deary at the Lowry
Went across to Manchester for Mum's birthday. Went to see a play called Bad Jews, which was excellent - very funny and yet sad. Really enjoyed that, but I think I was more pleased about seeing Terry Deary in the lobby afterwards. I had nearly the entire collection of Horrible Histories books as a kid, so I was pretty tempted to join the queue of small children waiting to get books signed.

37. Sunday 10th April - made friends with some more dachshunds
Gotta love sausage dogs. Took my mum's two on a walk with some other daxies. Lots of fun. Astley Park is pretty, too. But mostly I just wanted to dog-nap any of the dachshunds.



38. Monday 11th April - met an adorable husky
Anyone else noticing a bit of a dog obsession? Anyhoo, met a lovely husky pup. Very friendly and just wanted to lick my hands. Possibly because it was just a friendly dog. Possibly because I'd done chicken for tea...

39. Tuesday 12th April - did my travel guru thing
Tried to help colleague find a suitable train for Manchester. Also bollocked recently returned colleague for thinking he doesn't need travel insurance. More on that in a future post, probably.

40. Wednesday 13th April - got my first travel jabs. Ouch.
Turns out I need not only a Hep A and Typhoid booster, I also need Hep B and Rabies boosters and then I need to get a Yellow Fever jab. Just the Hep A/Typhoid to start, though. My poor arm.

No comments:

Post a Comment