Friday 16 October 2015

Destination Daydreams: Iceland

Iceland is the first planned stop on my Grand Tour next year. I've already visited once but only really saw Reykjavik and the classic "Golden Circle" of Geysir, Gullfoss and Thingvellir National Park. So, given that I've set aside 2 weeks for the whole country, what should I go and see?

Well, first up I'd like to see more of Reykjavik. I covered a few of the museums when I visited before but it'd be nice to see more of it. Visiting in summer probably has its advantages in that I won't be worrying about slipping over on the ice all the time.

On that note, I'd like to do the Golden Circle again and see how much it changes between the seasons. Gullfoss, the waterfall, was frozen over when I saw it, so it'd be pretty cool to see it in full flow.

Jokulsarlon is another place I really want to visit. I wanted to see it when I visited before but it being the middle of winter made getting there a bit of a problem. The Grand Tour kicks off next summer, so I won't be having that problem this time. I can get a bus out there and then spend some time gawping over the pretties. Just imagine: a lake full of icebergs. Going to be awesome and I can get there from Reykjavik on the bus. Even better.

In fact, I can get pretty much all the way round the country on the bus. In the same sort of area as Jokulsarlon is Vatnajokull National Park, containing Iceland's biggest ice sheet. That also sounds awesome, especially given that there's a few rather large volcanoes underneath it. Fun times.

From there, there's a number of places I could stop and chill out for a few days along the south and east coasts but the next place I really want to go is Husavik on the north east coast, supposedly one of the best places on the island to go whale watching. After the disappointment of no whales on our whale watch in Ireland, I really want to see whales again and Husavik looks like a good bet.

Not far from Husavik is Akureyri, Iceland's second biggest settlement, which looks like a quaint little place to spend a day or two exploring. There's also Myvatn not too far away which has all sorts of scrummy geothermal things to see (and bathe in if the whim takes me).

From there... well, there's not a whole lot that I've picked out on the way back between Akureyri and Reykjavik unless I can find a way to get out to Snaefellsnes, a peninsula on the west coast which supposedly has some of the island's best bird watching. Can't resist a bit of bird watching.

And then back to Reykjavik. Tempted to take a trip to the Blue Lagoon on my way to the airport given how pleasantly I was surprised when I went there in January. I'm not really a spa sort of person but bobbing about in lovely warm water with the stars overhead was amazing.

Well, I think that covers the main things. All the touristy highlights. I'm giving myself 2 weeks and I think that's enough time to cover what I want to see. Always open to detours though - what would you recommend as Iceland's top sights?

No comments:

Post a Comment