Friday 7 August 2015

Destination Daydreams: Peru

Been looking at Peru this week. Let's get the obvious thing out of the way first: yes, I want to go to Machu Picchu. It's been on my bucket list for years, so I'm going to see it, no matter how touristy and over-hyped it might be.

But what else to do in Peru? Well, Cusco seems to be the gateway to Machu Picchu and there's a whole host of other archaeological sites in the area, so that seems to be a good place to start. I could fly into Lima and then on to Cusco and then explore around there for a week or so.

I'm setting aside a week for this because of the altitude. I fully expect, having read other people's experiences, to spend the first few days feeling a bit rotten and weird. A friend who went out there a while back has helpfully recommended somewhere for breakfast (cheers, James). So I figure a few days in Cusco getting used to the altitude and then on to Machu Picchu by either train or bus.

The train could be more relaxing, potentially. I can go straight to Aguas Calientes, the closest town to Machu Picchu, visit the site and any others nearby and then catch the train or a bus back to Ollantaytambo, which seems to be highly recommended by others and has some awesome looking archaeological sites of its own. Also, outside of the tourist rush hour heading to Cusco, it looks like it might be rather quieter and more laid back than Cusco and therefore might be a nice place to take it slower for a few days.

When I initially started planning The Grand Tour, my Peru ideas only involved going to Machu Picchu. Of course, a few days ago, I suddenly remembered Lake Titicaca and its floating islands. Like Machu Picchu, I've loved the idea of it for years, but I suppose I thought it would be awkward to access. A quick look proves I'm wrong and I could do it by bus (cheaper and faster) or train (more expensive but more chance to view the scenery?). A flight is also an option, but this seems to go from Cusco to Juliaca and Juliaca sounds like a place I don't want to go...

Anyways, I can get from Cusco to Puno on the lakeshore fairly easily. From these I can take a boat trip out onto the lake and maybe visit one of more of the floating islands. Sounds like a bloody good idea to me.

Lima itself, the captial of Peru, has been mostly discounted. I've read too many things about crime rates and such (and yes, I know the rest of Peru is hardly crime free) and then the same friend who recommended a cafe for breakfast in Cusco suggested I wouldn't need much time in Lima, so I think that supports my instinctive reaction.

So, what else to do in Peru? The only other major thing I'd like to see if I get the chance is the Nazca Lines. There's no access on foot, so the only option is a scenic flight which I'm guessing would be just a little bit expensive... maybe that will have to wait until another trip.

Just got to find some advice on dealing with altitude. Don't fancy spending my entire time in Peru feeling grotty...

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment