Monday 31 August 2015

Ireland: Whisky in the Jar...

Well, we've entered the final countdown. 5 days till take off.

All the hostels are booked, as is the car hire. We've also reserved a starlight kayak trip near Cork and are looking at whale watching and horse riding. Those two we're holding off on booking for now until we've got a better idea of what the weather might do. I'm not entirely averse to rain but the idea of spending two hours on horseback in pouring rain does not appeal.

It will be amazing, I know this

On Friday night after work I'm catching a train to Manchester, meeting up with Gemma and then crashing at my mum's before we head to the airport on Saturday morning. After that it's a lunch time flight into Dublin where we'll meet up with Claire who's flying from Birmingham.

Just a few little bits left to sort out. Got my euros yesterday, my travel insurance is sorted and I think I have everything I need to take with me. Got to decide how we're paying the balance on the hostels. When we went to New Zealand last year, Claire and my sister paid me in what they owed for hostels and then I paid the hostels, just to save all us faffing around trying to get the right cash out. We'll probably end up doing similar this time, but we still haven't sorted it... should probably do that...

Also need to make sure everything we need fits in the available luggage space. We're only one checked bag between us because you have to pay extra for checked bags with Ryanair. So I need my big rucksack to weigh less than 15kg. Considering I only took 11kg for a 3 week trip to New Zealand, I think this is doable, even including the (likely) 2 pairs of walking boots that'll be going in.

On which note, I'm using this trip for a sort of trial run of the One Bag Challenge. Not sure if this is already a thing or if I've just made it up... More info on this in a post next week, but the idea is that I'm trying to cut down on all the stuff that goes on holiday with me in preparation for The Grand Tour. After all, do I really need so many spare t-shirts when I can just take 3 or 4 and wash them regularly?

So, I may be taking a checked bag, but I want to put as little of my stuff in it as possible. I'll wear my walking boots for the flight, as always. And probably get stopped by the metal detectors, as always. Everything I need, as far as possible, needs to fit into my carry on bag. It's a 25 litre backpack. It lasted me a week in Wales. Pretty sure it can last me for 2 weeks in Ireland. Look.



We shall see... 5 DAYS TO GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment