Sunday 4 September 2016

USA: Can I have my fingerprints back, please?

Oh my. Nearly 3 months into this trip and I've finally reached my third country. I'm currently in Alaska, where I've spent much of the last week after saying toodle-pip to my Mum and sister. However, I think I left the last post in a bit of an odd place, so let's finish that off, shall we?

Why do you look so worried?

Wow. So, Saturday was our final day with Wes, our (almost) trusty RV. After nearly 2 weeks of driving around the Rockies in which he'd nearly killed us with carbon monoxide, stalled repeatedly and nearly lost a wing mirror, we had to deliver him back to the hire company in Calgary. On the way I spotted a dead elk...

Anyways, we dropped Wes off and then made our way into the city to the fancy hotel Mum had booked for our last night together before she and Amy flew back to the UK. Oh, and I mean fancy. Look at the shiny.



The Fairmont Palliser, originally built by the Canadian Pacific Railway (them again), hence the swank. Anyways, we couldn't actually get into our room because we were much too early, so we dropped the bags and headed out to explore.

Calgary is an odd little place. It's quiet. Very quiet. We popped into a little diner to have lunch - more pancakes for me. Om nom nom.



And then went down to the Eau Claire market, which was just as dead as the city centre. As was the lovely park on the island in the river.

Hmm.

After a very relaxed day, we headed out to the 1988 Olympic Park. This was the winter olympics that Eddie the Eagle was at as well as the famous Jamaican bobsleigh team whose exploits inspired Cool Runnings.



Yeah... bobsleigh... we went in a bobsleigh. Down the '88 track. Piloted by the Aussie team's pilot. Clocked something like 78mph on the way down.

It was awesome. Slightly terrifying at points. I mean, I'm short. You're supposed to keep your head up so you can see which way the bends are going, but I struggled at times. Too short to see past Mum. Resulted in a couple of bounces of my thankfully helmet-clad noggin off the sides.

So cool. Definitely recommend it.

We also had a go at the scooter luge they have on the site. Much less terrifying, very much fun. Although I did get stuck behind Amy who appeared to be driving like a granny. This is coming from me, the woman who managed to ram herself repeatedly into the wall many years ago on a kid's ride at a theme park in Germany. I should have been the one pootling along worrying about corners. I wasn't. I was sitting impatiently behind my little sister, wondering why she was going so slow and wincing every time someone overtook us.

Ah well. I had fun. I would have gone back for another go, but Mum and Amy weren't interested and there was a big old rain cloud rolling in.

Indeed, as we waited for the taxi to arrive, the rain started. Fortunately we found a tiny bit of shelter with these little signs about Olympic events.



We were trying to come up with creative names for them. Mum had an accidental un-PC moment when she titled the last one "competitive hopping" and I had to point out that the icon was actually for disabled sport, so yes, the figure did only have one leg. We thought it was quite funny afterwards.

And then Tim's for tea and a night in a nice, big, comfy bed. Ahhh.

My credit card is crying

Tim's, yet again, for breakfast. Followed by a trip to the Calgary Tower, which is like the CN Tower, only littler and much less crowded. And cheaper. And you get an audio guide included in the price. Take that, CN Tower.

Anyways, there are excellent views from the top and the audio guide is pretty awesome. Lots of interesting stories about the history of the city.



After that, it was time to say goodbye to Mum and Amy who had to catch their flight back to the UK. I headed off solo again, this time to a hostel just down the road from the hotel.

I spent the evening fighting with booking sites, trying to sort out a bit more of the US leg of my trip. I should have done this weeks ago, in preparation for dealing with whatever immigration questions I might face trying to enter the US. But no, I had to leave it until the night before my flight.

Fortunately, everything behaved in the end and I got everything booked for the first 2 weeks of my US leg. My credit card, as a result, was a bit shocked.

I spent my final night in Calgary trying to get some sleep in anticipation of an early start the next morning. I was rather foiled by the girl in the bunk beneath mine who snored. All night. Non-stop. Ugh.

Should I have a stamp?

Said snoring roommate meant that I was a right grump when I crawled out of bed at 5am the next morning. After a remarkably long (but cheap) bus ride to the airport, I got checked in and went to face the US Customs and Border Protection officers at pre-clearance.

There I was, all prepared with my tablet full of downloaded ticket confirmations, bank statements and travel insurance. The guy looks at me, takes my passport and tells me to put my hand on the scanner. So now the USA has my fingerprints. He hands back my passport. Sans stamp or anything to indicate how long I'm allowed to stay. He waves me away.

What the fuck?

Anyway, it's still only just gone 7am and I haven't had any caffeine, so I think nothing really of the fact that my passport has no stamp. Grabbed a Tim's for breakfast (probably my final Tim's for a long time, sad times).

Onto the plane, which is a little regional jet thing. Very tight on space. Uneventful flight, save the 40 minutes we spent sitting on the taxiway waiting for our gate, which I spent chatting to the guy next to me about travel.

And then I was in Seattle. I'd been told at the airport in Calgary that my bag was checked all the way through, so I figured I'd just go to the gate for my flight to Anchorage. Cabin crew on the plane disagreed, saying that anyone getting a connecting flight had to collect their bags, recheck them and go through security.

As a result, my sleep-deprived, caffeine starved self was just a little bit confused when I got off the plane and had to go in search of some sort of customer service person to help me. They confirmed that I could just go to the next gate. Hurrah.

Still, I was a bit worried about that security thing...

Obviously this wasn't too much of a problem, because I got on the plane with no problem and then spent a lovely few hours watching Disney films. Yay.

No security to go through at Anchorage, which confused the hell out of me, so I had to make use of the free Wi-Fi to make sure that I hadn't somehow managed to skip security at one of the three airports and that it was quite all right not to have a stamp in my passport. Google (and the US government websites) said, yes, that's fine, calm down.

And then I spent the afternoon lazing at the hostel. Oh, and I met an Eskimo lady. I should point out that she called herself an Eskimo lady, which surprised me because I was taught at school that Eskimo is a somewhat derogatory term. She was lovely.

Anchorage, why are you so warm?!

I spent my first morning in Anchorage having the most delightful lie-in. Oh, it was glorious. Hurray, catching up on sleep.

I then attempted to bring the blog up to date. I failed. Epically. So instead of moping around the hostel, I took a walk into the city and visited the Anchorage Museum.

Glad I did. A big chunk of the museum is closed for renovations at the moment, but the parts that are still open are brilliant. There's an excellent display covering the major native groups that live in the state, with some really interesting artefacts.



The gallery had quite a bit of input from Alaska Natives, from what I could gather, which I think is wonderful.



There's also a great section downstairs that's clearly aimed at kids, but I couldn't resist. My inner child had great fun playing with all the interactive displays. I even made a very short stop motion film featuring a couple of moose and a bear...



And of course, the obligatory infra-red camera.



As I left the museum, it was still way too warm. I had rather imagined Anchorage (and Alaska in general) to be a bit cooler, but it's been over 20 degrees every day so far, I think.

The Day Of Nothing

I actually have no idea where this day went. I think I probably wrote a blog post. And then read. A lot. Definitely read a lot. And nothing else. Productive much. I think I just needed a day (or three) to chill.

Hablas Espanol?

First, I realised that the hostel, which provides free breakfast, has a waffle maker and the staff actually provide the waffle mix. Which meant syrupy waffles for breakfast. Om nom nom.

After another lazy morning, I decided I couldn't just spend all day doing bugger all again, so I took myself for a walk along Chester's Creek. When I GoogleMapped this, it came out at about 3.5 miles for my planned route. It should have taken me just over an hour.



I'm pretty sure I did it in about 45 minutes, so either I went a different way or Google lied to me. Possibly a bit of both. At least I got out in the fresh air for a bit, but jeez, Alaska, why are you so warm?!

I spent the rest of the afternoon refreshing my Spanish. I had a bit of a freak out when I realised it's now less than a month until I plan to be in Peru so I thought I'd best brush up on my very rudimentary language skills. So far, my go to phrase is "Lo siento. No entiendo." (I'm sorry. I don't understand). This can be followed by either:

"Hablas Ingles?"

Or:

"Hablas mas despacio, por favor."

Basically, if anyone tries to talk to me, I'm screwed. Maybe.

You're welcome, Miss Zoe

After a day of apparently not doing anything other than farting about trying to learn Spanish, I made the effort to find something to do. This may have been partially spurred on by questions over breakfast from fellow guests about my plans for the day. Of which I had none at that point.

I ended up going into the city and taking the trolley bus tour. The sales chap insisted on calling me Miss Zoe, which I found both odd and sort of adorable. The tour itself was actually pretty interesting and included all sorts of little nuggets from the former school teacher who was our guide.



Passed by Earthquake Park, which was a section of the city which slipped quite a long way towards the inlet during the huge 1964 Good Friday Earthquake. We also got a glimpse of Denali, the mountain from which Denali National Park gets its name. Not bad, considering Denali is over 100 miles from Anchorage.

Also passed by the huge numbers of small planes that fly out of Anchorage. Apparently Alaska is home to half of the small planes in the USA. That's pretty impressive.

And then lunch, before I popped in to book a cruise around Prince William Sound to see all the glaciers. ALL THE GLACIERS. Hopefully I'll also see some wildlife. That'd be nice. Maybe whales again...

I spent the rest of the afternoon in the Visitor Centre, mostly watching the many films they have about Alaska's wildlife, its history and the aforementioned 9.2 magnitude earthquake. That was a few hours well spent, and free to boot.

Basically, my first almost-week in Anchorage has been relaxed. Surprisingly, my travel brain hasn't been yelling at me to get out and do things, so clearly I did need to take a break. No worries though - plans for next week include the cruise I booked and possible visits to the Alaska Native Heritage Center and maybe the zoo. Should keep me busy. Plus I have lots more Spanish to catch up on.

A few more days in Anchorage and then on to the lower 48!

No comments:

Post a Comment