Friday 13 May 2016

Solo Travel: Anxious Relatives

My nanna tried to guilt trip me...

I've been fortunate over the last 18 months that, while a few folks have been worried about me going travelling alone, no one has yet tried to stop me from going. Well, apart from my dad telling me I'm not allowed to go to Fairbanks, Alaska because of the crime rate and to be fair, I agreed.

Someone, though, has let slip to my nanna that I'm going travelling. Alone. For a year. My nanna worries about everything. So I hadn't planned on telling her until just before I left (if at all) to save on the inevitable worry. But hey, someone spilled the beans and so when I saw her a couple of weeks ago she started with: "Are you still going travelling?"

To which, of course, my answer was yes. This was followed by the classic: "I thought you might have changed your mind."

Yes, Nanna, I've booked flights and hostels and been stuck full of vaccinations, but of course, I'll just change my mind.

This is both adorable and frustrating, because I know that every time I go to see her up until I leave I'm going to get another attempt from her at talking me out of it. So far I've been proved right - every week since then I've been asked if I'm still going. This week it was "you won't change your mind? Not even for me?" No. But the best one was this little gem from the first week she asked me.

"I might not be here when you get back."

My nanna is in her 80s. And now she's trying to guilt trip me with it. This is precisely why I hadn't told her I was going. So I'm going to come up with a few reasons why she shouldn't be worrying. Not that I think it will work, but there's no harm in trying.

1. I am not going anywhere especially dangerous

My grandad wanted to know if I'm going to the Middle East (although the way he phrased it was rather more older-generation-racist). Don't worry, Grandad. I'm not going anywhere with terrorists as far as I can help it. I do have a bit of an urge to make a detour to Jordan though to see Petra. And maybe Istanbul...

Let's be honest, though. I'm much more concerned about crime in the States than anywhere else. And what with the elections coming up I have this awful feeling I'm going to get into an argument with someone over politics/gun control/how I think the USA is weird and end up getting shot...

2. I will keep in touch

That is, indeed, the main point of this blog. And I intend on sending postcards as often as I can. And emailing. And Skype, if I can get a stable enough WiFi connection.

3. I have done this before

Not entirely the same, but I went out to Australia on my own when I was 19. Lived out there a year. I'm not totally new to the whole "going off on your own thing".


4. I am planning on coming back

OK, so this might just change depending on how it goes, but at the present moment I do intend to come back. It's not like I'm leaving for ever. That said, I might be tempted to stay a bit longer than my current plan suggests. Another year in Australia and New Zealand sounds rather lovely...

5. If 18 year olds on their gap yahs can do this, then so can I

At any  given time there must be hundreds if not thousands of teenagers adventuring (and drinking) their way around the world. I'd like to think I've got a bit more common sense than some of them. If they can do it, I bloody well can too.

I'm not sure what else I can tell her to reassure her that I'll be fine. Any ideas, folks? Please do share in the comments if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment