Wednesday 23 September 2015

The One Bag Challenge Recap

When I started looking at going travelling for a year, I decided I want to take as little with me as possible. After all, lugging all that baggage around was going to get annoying after a while. You can read more on this HERE, but basically I decided to use my recent trip to Ireland to test drive this plan.

I took to Ireland a 25l backpack and then a 65l rucksack to share with the two folks who came with me. Into the 25l bag I fit the following enough clothing to last me nearly the full 2 weeks (with 1 wash in Galway), plus my camera and a spare pair of light shoes.

My toiletries went into the shared bag purely to avoid having to take them through security, along with a small first aid kit and my Ireland guide book.

So how did it go? Here's the small bag the night before I left. Very proud of my packing skills.



Well, I didn't need to take quite so many clothes for a start. I could lose a t-shirt or two and still have enough to wear without having to do a wash every couple of days.

Taking 6 days worth of socks/underwear was plenty. I did hand-washing 2 nights to restock and that was easily enough. Did turn the sink filthy the first time round, although I think that might have been the amount of sand that came out of Gemma and Claire's socks after we went down to the beach at Malin Beg.



Ew. Anyhoo, I think I've got the clothes thing down. So, I need to cut my toiletries to 100ml containers so I don't need to worry about getting through security. And I'll need to check my first aid kit to make sure that can go through in hand luggage as well.

The guide book... didn't need to come with me. I think I got it out once in the entire trip. So I can leave guide books out of any future packing plans. Too much dead weight.

Aside from that, well, I think it's entirely feasible to travel with hand luggage only, even on trips lasting more than a couple of weeks. My 25l bag only weighed about 7kg, out of a 10kg carry on allowance, and it's a fair bit smaller than the dimension limits most airlines impose. You just have to be willing to do so washing occasionally and not want to be wearing loads of different clothes.

This is where packing lists come in. They're great for making sure you only take what you really need. Of which, more in a future post. For now, I think we can conclude that travelling with carry on only is realistic. Bring on the next trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment