Monday 14 September 2015

London: 'Ere, don't feed the pigeons

My sister treated me to a trip to London to see The Book of Mormon for my birthday. How lovely. She even paid for us to go first class on the train which meant my day began with a yummy croissant and a rather stewed cup of tea. Tiniest knife ever too for the spreading of the butter...

Anyways, by the time we got to London I'd managed to wake up after the 6am start. Our first stop was the Travel Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society. Caught the Piccadilly line from Kings Cross to South Kensington (pleasantly quiet at 10am) and then took a stroll up Cromwell Road to the RGS.

The exhibition (closed 5th September) was free entry, which is always lovely and the photographs were stunning. Seems to have visited from all over the world, but we had to stick our little pins in for Grimsby.



A brilliant range of subjects and places - people, animals, landscapes from all over the world. Also, these fun signs (forgive awful phone photos...)





So stunning, in fact, that I bought myself this year's book of winning images and a pack of postcards to stick to my travel door. Travel door is already getting a bit full following a couple of trips to London and Wales...

Got a bit of a surprise when the lady at the counter mentioned that I'd been to New Zealand - had one of those moments of "who are you and how the hell did you know that?!" before I realised a) that the lady was a Kiwi and b) I was, as always, wearing my manaia. Yeah... makes sense now.

Anyway, buzzing with new travel inspirations, we popped along to the Albert Memorial for a few minutes. Amused ourselves watching the other tourists trying to take selfies. Should have taken my camera, but unfortunately I only had my phone...



And then it was off in the vague direction of Leicester Square in search of the Prince of Wales Theatre. Hopped back on the Piccadilly, then onto the Bakerloo to Charing Cross to grab some lunch in Trafalgar Square. Amused as always by the tourists blithely ignoring the signs telling you not to feed the pigeons. Also the little girl who came running towards the fountains squealing that it looked like a swimming pool.

Lunch consumed, we hopped back on the Tube to Piccadilly Circus, whiled away an hour in Leicester Square playing spot the tourist (i.e. everyone) and then finally got into the theatre.

The Book of Mormon is amazing. A fun piss-take of Mormon missionaries without being cruel about it. Loads of laughs, great little story and amazing songs. Can't ask for much more. Had it stuck in my head for the rest of the day.

And then it was first class on the train back - sandwiches this time and much better tea. Om nom nom.

Awesome birthday present from my sister. Now I just need to think of something as awesome for her 25th... Ideas, anyone?

No comments:

Post a Comment