Friday 10 June 2016

The Grand Tour: Packing List Time!

I packed yesterday. Somehow. Still not sure how I managed it. Here's all the stuff that I planned on taking.

All the things waiting to be packed


And here's my finished packing.

Bags all packed ready to go!


Out of that first image, here's the few pieces I decided not to take.

Just a few extra bits... another 3 notebooks?


Because, really, when am I going to need a sort-of-smart jacket, another 3 notebooks (there's already 4 little ones distributed through my bags), so many pens, yet another jumper and 4 extra pairs of socks (just in case).

The big bag is 65l, so it's not huge - only weighs about 11kg, so it's also well under my luggage allowance for my first flight. The smaller bag is 25l and can fit everything in it that I'd need for an overnight trip, plus most of my electronics and my camera and associated oddments.

I'm most impressed with myself. I made myself a packing list and I've near enough stuck to it. Some bits have come off it, some bits have been added but I think I've ended up packing about the same amount as I originally intended. For those interested in the whole packing light thing, here's what's in my bags.

In the 65l rucksack:

  • Sleeping things:

    • Compact sleeping bag
    • Mosquito net
    • Earplugs
  • Clothing:

    • Enough underwear for 2 weeks
    • Swimsuit
    • Plimsolls
    • 3 t-shirts
    • 3 vest tops
    • 1 thermal shirt
    • 1 long sleeved shirt
    • Walking trousers
    • Shorts
    • Maxi skirt
    • Micro-fleece
  • Health & toiletries

    • First aid kit
    • ~2 months supply of anti-malarials (Doxycycline)
    • Diarrhoea management kit
    • Sun cream
    • DEET
    • Water purification tablets
    • Toothbrush
    • Toothpaste
    • Shampoo
    • Body wash
    • Deodorant
    • Moisturiser
    • Nail clippers
    • Travel wash
    • Travel towel
    • Flannel
    • Lip balm
  • Electronics:

    • Assorted charging cables for phone, iPod, tablet and camera
    • Travel adaptors - one worldwide, one for South Africa & Namibia
  • Other odds & sods:

    • 2 small notebooks for keeping accounts and journal things
    • Torch & headtorch
    • Laundry bag (because, ew, smelly clothes)
    • Shoulder bag 

In the 25l bag:

  • Waterproof jacket
  • Phone, iPod & earphones, tablet & keyboard
  • Camera, tripod & lenses
  • Woolly hat
  • Gloves & arm-warmers (I get cold wrists...)
  • Scarf
  • Sunglasses
  • Water bottle
  • 2 more notebooks and a few pens
  • Spork (a gift from my sister)
  • Small box for food or assorted random bits
  • Painkillers
  • Stickers (because hostel kitchens never have enough to label your food)
  • Wallet full of important travel documents

I don't think that's bad going, really. As far as I can tell, it covers everything I'm likely to need and anything that's missing I can pick up along the way. Even if I end up needing more anti-malarials, I'll be able to find somewhere to pick them up. As it is, it feels a bit like I've become the walking pharmacy I so dreaded before I went to New Zealand. And yet, somehow, my bags still weigh significantly less than most people would take on the typical holiday. Go me and my amazing packing skills!

Any tips on packing light? Do share!

No comments:

Post a Comment