Tuesday 10 March 2015

Iceland: "Mind the gap"

Finally! Finally getting round to writing up my notes about the trip to Iceland. It was only... 2 months ago? Ah well. Here goes.

The short trip to Iceland began with an epic journey down from Grimsby/Scunthorpe to Gatwick. OK, so it's not actually that far, but given that I left work at 4:30pm and didn't reach the hotel till 10:30pm, I'm counting it as epic.

In short, it happened like this: my train was at 5:30pm. I got twitchy and left work at half 4 and ended up waiting at the station for 45 minutes. Then I worried that I'd miss the connection at Scunthorpe and Gemma would be left with no train tickets because I had them all. This (amazingly enough) did not happen. Woo. Then we got the little local train from Scunthorpe to Doncaster which looked just like one of my old school buses. The really rattly old one which we always worried would breakdown.

The leg from Doncaster to King's Cross was uneventful. Then I had to get a tube ticket and the damn machine gave me £15 change all in pound coins. Ack. I feel I must point out here that the short tube trip between King's Cross and Victoria is the most relaxed I have ever been on a tube train. I hate them. I have a phobia of crowds and anyone who has ever been on the tube will tell you this is not a good thing to have in that situation. As it was, it was about 9 in the evening and there was no one around. Do you know the joy of actually being able to sit on a tube train? Amazing.

Ahem. Moving on. There was an angry man at Victoria station bollocking the conductor. Not interesting. Finally arrived at Gatwick and then had to wait for a shuttle (very reasonably priced, I do believe) to take us to the hotel. Which meant not arriving until nearly 10:30pm. Bearing in mind the early start the next morning... urgh. Oh yay.

No comments:

Post a Comment